I am seriously cracking up. The last few recipe posts from me have all involved pizza dough. I do declare that we eat other foods. It has just so happened that I have had some very lovely pizza dough based meals lately.
This amazing pizza discovery started with this picture:
The Pioneer Woman's favorite pizza. I think that I have gained 10 pounds just by reading all her amazing recipes. I saw this one and knew I had to make it!
I followed her recipe, but made a couple of changes. I used my Trader Joe's whole wheat dough. (One of the employees at Trader's gave me a great tip of leaving the dough out to rise for an hour, rather than the 20 minutes that the package says. It makes a big difference.)
I also did not have any fresh mozzarella. I had honey goat cheese. I LOVE goat cheese, so I was willing to take the risk and substitute it for the mozzarella. It was amazing. Seriously, the slight sweetness of the goat cheese, with the sweet caramelized onions and the salty proscuitto is like heaven. So heavenly that now I can never ever make it with any other kind of cheese.
Here's the deal:
1 recipe pizza dough, let rise as needed
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon brown sugar
salt & pepper
fresh basil (a handful of leaves) chopped finely
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Heat a bit of olive oil (about 1-2 tablespoons) in a pan and saute your onion and brown sugar until nicely caramelized.
2. While the onion is cooking, drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a cookie sheet and spread out evenly. Then begin to spread your pizza dough into the pan until it is as thin as you can get it without tearing it.
3. Drizzle more olive oil over the top of the dough and spread out evenly. Sprinkle freshly cracked pepper and salt over the dough, then sprinkle your basil.
4. Slice up your goat cheese very thin and layer across the dough (to your liking).
5. Sprinkle the caramelized onion over the goat cheese.
6. Place the proscuitto across the onions.
7. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and done to your liking. Slice into squares and serve with a yummy green salad. Add a light glass of white wine and you will be the happiness mama!