1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup dark agave syrup*
1/3 cup extra-light olive oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
* agave syrup is a natural, unprocessed sweetener derived from the agave plant. It has a great flavor and is sweeter than sugar so you can use less. I use it in baking, as well as in sweetening my coffee and tea. Visit www.wildorganics.net
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line 16 standard-size muffin pan cups with baking papers and set aside.
3. Whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. Finely grate the carrots and stir together with remaining ingredients.
5. Stir the carrot mixture into the flour mixture.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the baking cups and bake until a skewer comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.